In the heart of the resort-rich Northwoods, St. Germain was settled in 1903. Unlike many of its neighboring communities, this town's origin came in a mixed bag of logging, resorts, trapping and mill operations. With an eye towards the end of logging and the subsequent land clearing, the town adopted the name Farmington in 1907.
However, the growing season was too short to support the agricultural development and resorts continued to flourish. The town's name was changed to St. Germain to honor the Chippewa families, with the St. Germaine surname, who settled the area centuries earlier.
The statue of St. Germain located in front of the Chamber of Commerce was erected to also honor the native heritage in the area and is not representative of any one individual.
Today, tourism is the driving industry in St. Germain. The town consists of 40 square miles with a population of approximately 2,000 people. There is an elementary school for grades K-5 that was built in 1997. St Germain is part of the Northland Pines School District.
For more details visit the Chamber web page or visit their Facebook page. St Germain, WI is located in south-central Vilas County, conveniently located between Eagle River and Minocqua, Wisconsin along State Highways 70 and 155.
Find just what you are looking for on the off-water site.Visit the on-water listings page for a look at splendid homes and cottages. Nothing can compare to an exclusive home listed at $700,000 and more. Perhaps a parcel of land is the right choice.
Eliason Realty of the North LLC
Eagle River Office | 302 West Pine St | 715-479-4431
St Germain Office | 408 Hwy 70 E | 715-542-3223