Lake Tomahawk is a small town with a big love for its roots. The logging industry, which gave birth to the initial community, came to an early end in the first part of the 1900's. Resorts populated the clear lakes and it became its own governing community in 1914 when it split from Hazelhurst and adopted the name Town of Tomahawk Lake and built its first school. The name was changed to Lake Tomahawk in 1928.
The town flourished in the 1920s and 30s as the resort community expanded. The train brought vacationers from the Chicago area and the town grew around supporting tourism.
In the 1960s the school closed when the decision was made to merge school districts. When snowmobiling came to the area it had a huge impact on the town’s winter economic viability. It was in 1961 when snowshoe baseball was introduced, first as a winter activity, and then a summer event. Today, this is a pivotal activity for Lake Tomahawk and is celebrating more than 50 years as a summer sport.
Despite several fires that have razed the downtown area, Lake Tomahawk still has a strong resemblance to the town of the early 1900s. The population is comprised of approximately 1,100 residents that occupy the 39.2 square miles. Lake Tomahawk’s vision for the future does not vary from the serene, small community it is today. The emphasis is on a controlled master plan to preserve and improve the existing town characteristics.
Then, of course, there is Lake Tomahawk, the largest lake in the Minocqua/Lake Tomahawk Chain that links the area's recreational community. It is 3,392 acres and a maximum depth of 84 feet.
For more details, visit the Lake Tomahawk Municipal website.
For more news and information, click here.
To learn about the off-water properties that are for sale click here. The wonderful on-water properties can be seen here. The best in property eye candy see the exclusive homes with selling prices starting at $700,000. Compare available land parcels here.
Eliason Realty of the North LLC
Eagle River Office | 302 West Pine St | 715-479-4431
St Germain Office | 408 Hwy 70 E | 715-542-3223