Sugar Camp Chain
It may not be the largest but it may be the quaintest chain of lakes in the Northwoods. The Sugar Camp Chain of Lakes consists of five lakes, Dam, Sand, Stone, Echo and Chain Lake. The chain is connected to the Rainbow Flowage and the Wisconsin River through Dam Lake and lies to the northeast of the heart of Sugar Camp on Highway 17.
The state owns 75% of the land along the shoreline making for some of the most natural and unspoiled scenery along the chain. The largest lake is Dam Lake at 732 acres and is 32 feet at its deepest point. The lake lies to the north of County Highway D. Maplewood Resort is located on the southwest shore of the lake. Chippewa Ranch Camp for girls is on the west shore.
As the waters flow south under Highway D, Dam Lake connects to Sand Lake which is the second largest lake at 547 acres and reaches a maximum depth of 25 feet. While there is no state boat ramp on either lake, there is a public boat ramp on the south side of Highway D where the lakes meet. Parking is available and accommodates vehicles with trailers.
Visit Pitlik’s Sand Beach Resort on Sand Lake where boaters can tie up for a great meal or drinks. There are modernized cabins available for rent at the resort. Gas is available throughout the year for water sports and snowmobiling.
Traveling along the chain to the south is Stone Lake. This lake is 188 acres with a maximum depth of 16’. There is no boat ramp access to the lake but it is linked, as are all the lakes, by a channel from Sand Lake and then northeast towards Echo Lake. Some of the channels are fairly shallow and narrow so checking into water conditions is a good idea.
Echo Lake is the smallest body of water in the chain at 107 acres and a maximum depth of 18 feet. Again, there is no boat ramp access.
At the end of the chain, to the northeast of Echo Lake and to the east of Sand Lake is Chain Lake. This lake is the third largest in the chain at 210 acres and it is 19 feet at its deepest. The Town of Sugar Camp maintains an unimproved boat launch with parking for 6-10 vehicles and 6-10 vehicles with trailers. The ramp is located off Highway D on the west shore of the lake.
The chain is best known for its fabulous fishing. Dam Lake and Sand Lake are both considered Class A Muskie lakes. These lakes are home to great pan fishing – bluegill, sunfish, perch and crappies. Walleye, small and large mouth bass and northern pike inhabit these waters. There are ice fishing tournaments held on both Dam and Sand lakes.
If living on a lake is your dream, whether for a second or permanent home, this area offers plenty of selection with a great variety of settings.
Lakes of the Sugar Camp Chain
- MLS #144584 5214 Cth D, Sugar Camp, WI 54521
beds: 3, baths: 3+1½, acres: 5.43, space: 3500,
- MLS #141875 7416 Birch Tree Dr, Sugar Camp, WI 54501
beds: 3, baths: 4, acres: 5.04, space: 4676,
- MLS #142489 4823 Echo Ridge Dr, Sugar Camp, WI 54501
beds: 3, baths: 2, acres: 1.52, space: 2352,
- MLS #143108 5303 Dam Lake Rd, Sugar Camp, WI 54521
beds: 4, baths: 2, acres: 0.51, space: 3000,
- MLS #138592 7542 Birch Tree Dr, Sugar Camp, WI 54521
beds: 3, baths: 4, acres: 1.1, space: 3200,
- MLS #138204 5161 Sand Lake Rd, Minocqua, WI 54501
beds: 4, baths: 3, acres: 10, space: 2376,
- MLS #133260 7862 Chain Lake Rd, Eagle River, WI 54521
beds: 3, baths: 2, acres: 4.47, space: 2502,
- MLS #140904 8261 Maplewood Ln #5, Sugar Camp, WI 54521
beds: 4, baths: 2, acres: 9.7, space: 2576,
- MLS #138990 7546 Birch Tree Dr, Rhinelander, WI 54521
beds: 3, baths: 1+1½, acres: 1.11, space: 1768,
- MLS #144333 7380 Birch Tree Dr, Rhinelander, WI 54501
beds: 3, baths: 2, acres: 1.58, space: 1872,
- MLS #143048 7588 Cth D, Eagle River, WI 54521
beds: 3, baths: 3, acres: 1.36, space: 2236,
- MLS #143149 5195 Hideaway Dr, Eagle River, WI 54521
beds: 3, baths: 2, acres: 1.8, space: 1555,
- MLS #136174 7546 Cth D, Sugar Camp, WI 54521
beds: 3, baths: 1+1½, acres: 3.77, space: 1800,
- MLS #139395 7599 Channel Rd, Sugar Camp, WI 54521
beds: 3, baths: 1+1½, acres: 1.21, space: 1564,
- MLS #142205 5225 Hideaway Dr, Sugar Camp, WI 54521
beds: 3, baths: 2, acres: 1.78, space: 1350,
- MLS #136825 7982 Cth D, Sugar Camp, WI 54501
beds: 3, baths: 1, acres: 0.4, space: 864,
- MLS #144513 8079 Boardwalk Dr, Sugar Camp, WI 54521
beds: 3, baths: 2, acres: 0.94, space: 1620,
© 2014 Onjax, LLC. All Rights Reserved.