St Germain On-Water Homes and Cottages For Sale
In the heart of the resort-rich Northwoods, St. Germain was settled in 1903. Unlike many of its neighboring communities, this town's oirgin came in a mixed bagged of logging, resorts, trapping and mill operations. With an eye towards the end of logging and the subsequent land clearing, the town adopted the name Farmington in 1907.
However, the growing season was too short to support the agricultural development and resorts continued to flourish. The town's name was changed to St. Germain to honor the Chippewa families with the St. Germaine surname who settled the area centuries earlier.
The statue of St. Germain located in front of the Chamber of Commerce was erected to also honor the native heritage in the area and is not representative of any one individual.
Today, tourism is the driving industry in St. Germain. The town consists of 40 square miles with a population of approximately 2,000 people. There is a elementary school for grades K-5 that was built in 1997. St Germain is part of the Northland Pines School District.
For more details visit the Chamber webpage or visit their Facebook page. St Germain, WI is located in south-central Vilas County, conveniently located between Eagle River and Minocqua, Wisconsin along State Highways 70 and 155. Read updates about St Germain WI here.
© 2016 Onjax, LLC. All Rights Reserved.