Lake Tomahawk Off-Water Homes and Cottages for Sale
Lake Tomahawk is a small town with a big love for its roots. The logging industry which gave birth to the initial community came to an early end in the first part of the 1900s. Resorts populated the clear lakes and became its own governing community in 1914 when it split from Hazelhurst and adopted the name Town of Tomahawk Lake and built its first school. The name was changed to Lake Tomahawk in1928.
The town flourished in the 1920s and 30s as the resort community expanded. The train brought vacationers from the Chicago area and the town grew around supporting tourism.
In the 1960s the school closed when the decision was made to merge school districts. When snowmobiling came to the area it had a huge impact on the town’s winter economic viability. It was in 1961 when snowshoe baseball was introduced, first as a winter activity and then a summer event. Today, this is a pivotal activity for Lake Tomahawk and is celebrating 51 years as a summer sport.
Despite several fires that have razed the downtown area, Lake Tomahawk still has a strong resemblance to the town of the early 1900s. The population is comprised of approximately 1,100 residents that occupy the 39.2 square miles. Lake Tomahawk’s vision for the future does not vary from the serene, small community it is today. The emphasis is on a controlled master plan to preserve and improve on the existing town characteristics.
For more details, visit the Lake Tomahawk Municipal website.
Fore more news and information, click here.
- $259,9008041 Two Lakes Rd SLake Tomahawk, WI
- $224,0005700 Rolling Woods DrLake Tomahawk, WI
- $206,5006708 Hwy 47Lake Tomahawk, WI
- $189,9006462 Soyck CtLake Tomahawk, WI
- $169,9008108 Lark RdLake Tomahawk, WI
- $147,9007213 Poplar RdLake Tomahawk, WI
- $139,9007056 Loon RdLake Tomahawk, WI
- $134,9007241 Iris StLake Tomahawk, WI
- $99,9008028 Heron RdLake Tomahawk, WI
- $74,9007971 Choate BlvLake Tomahawk, WI
© 2015 Onjax, LLC. All Rights Reserved.