Exclusive Homes for Sale in Manitowish Waters, Wisconsin
It was the Lake Superior Chippewa people who first settled along the shores of Manitowish Lake and there they made sugar, fished, raised corn, picked berries and buried their dead.
According to the Manitowish Waters Chamber of Commerce history, “In 1860, government officials established township boundaries and noticed the valuable timber resources and chain of lakes (that were) convenient for floating logs to sawmills. By 1884, canoe flotillas looking for timber had established the first white settlements in what is now Manitowish Waters, and in 1887-1888 the dam was built to hold chain waters for logging and river driving.”
Manitowish Waters initially was the Town of Spider Lake, named in 1927 and officially got its present name in 1940. Cranberry farming began in 1946 and today is the most significant business enterprise in the area.
The population of 700, comprised of local residents and second home owners, are able to enjoy a serene lifestyle in the thickly forested and on its famous chain of lakes in the 36.3 square miles of the town.
To learn more details visit the Chamber website.
For more news and information on Manitowish Waters, Wis., click here.
- $1,445,00013041 Deer Park RdManitowish Waters, WI
- $1,250,0005748 Spider Lake Rd EManitowish Waters, WI
- $1,200,00012801 Maple LnManitowish Waters, WI
- $1,106,75013035 Deer Park Rd #2 Lily PadManitowish Waters, WI
- $995,0005336 Avenue Of Birches RdManitowish Waters, WI
- $895,00013224 Avenue Of The BalsamsManitowish Waters, WI
- $875,00012761 Pine LnManitowish Waters, WI
© 2015 Onjax, LLC. All Rights Reserved.